Southeast Michigan Flood Resources – June 2021

If you are reading this, then your house has been flooded. We know that it is a lot to process, and we want to offer our support during this difficult time.

In an emergency like this, you need all of the information available in order to make decisions about your home. With that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of resources for those who have had their basements flooded or are at risk of flooding.

⚠ Warning ⚠

You must act within 45 days

On January 2, 2002 Public Act 222 of the Public Acts of 2001 became effective. PA 222 provides that, under certain circumstances, governmental agencies that own or operate sewage disposal systems may be held liable for the overflow or backup of the system.

To pursue a claim against a governmental agency for personal injury or property damage resulting from a sewer backup, the claimant must file a written notice of the claim to the governmental agency within 45 days of the date that the damage or physical injury was discovered, or should have been discovered. If written notice is not provided within 45 days, a claimant will not be able to pursue a claim for the injuries and/or damages.

A written notice must include the following:

  • Your name, address, and telephone number.
  • The address of the affected property.
  • The date of discovery of any property damages or physical injuries.
  • A brief description of your claim.

Here’s a list of some cities that experienced flooding on June 26, 2021. Follow the link to see how to submit your complaint. If you experienced water in your basement and your city is not listed, find your cities website, navigate to the public works section and find their contact information. Then submit a written notice claim to them.

You're Not Alone

We know that you’re busy, and it’s hard to find the time to call your lawyer when all of this flooding is happening.

Our lawyers are ready to help you with any personal injury or property damage issues from the Southeast Michigan Flood on June 25-26, 2021.

Call now at 313-458-8276, and we will get back to you right away so that we can start working on your case immediately.